If your searching the internet for a treatment for alcohol poisoning at home, and you suspect you or someone you are with is suffering from alcohol poisoning call the emergency services immediately.
Alcohol-poisoning is a life-threatening condition, however it needn't end in tragedy.
The most important stage in treating alcohol poisoning lies not within an emergency room, but in the early identification and recognition of the symptoms of alcohol poisoning, and their prompt treatment. This can only be done by those in the company of the person suffering from alcohol poisoning. To discover how to spot the signs of alcohol poisoning,
Equally important is how fast first-aid can be delivered to the victim.
The need for treatment for alcohol poisoning to be detected early speaks to the importance of not leaving individuals who you suspect drank too much alone. It could be a matter of life and death if they are left alone.
According to research just completed in the United States of America, around 50,000 cases of alcohol poisoning are reported each year, and one person dies per week because of this deadly but very preventable condition.
One of the major reasons for these fatalities is that the people around the drinker cannot effectively identify the symptoms.
Consequently they did not take any action other than sending the sufferers home in a cab and/or having them take a cold shower and a hot coffee. Most end up feeling responsible and guilt-ridden.
While treatments for alcohol poisoning aren’t complicated, many wait too long before they get treatment (for themselves or others) because:
Furthermore, there exists amongst many a stark apathy about the actual symptoms of alcohol poisoning- which may lead to the sufferer and others around him or her to simply assume that he/she’s merely ‘drunk’.
All of which may lead to the sufferer's condition being ignored and thus endangering his/her life.
While the reasons mentioned above may feel important at the moment, it is vital to try and put the situation in perspective. Try to compare the potential consequences of underage drinking and/or the shame you would feel, to the feelings of guilt that would likely come after not getting someone or yourself help.
The truth is that alcohol poisoning does not go away with some rest and water. By waiting, you are not only risking the life of the intoxicated person, but you are also adding the risk of having to sit with guilt about hesitating when seeking treatment.
Excessive alcohol consumption is bad for anyone. Alcohol suppresses nerves that would ordinarily be responsible for your subconscious functions- such as breathing and reminding your heart to beat. Excessive alcohol consumption may stop these functions.
Additionally, alcohol is an irritant to the stomach, and will cause excessive drinkers to vomit- thereby heightening the risk that someone may potentially choke on his/her own vomit even though the person is not conscious, causing death by asphyxiation.
Contrary to popular belief, a person’s blood alcohol concentration will and can continue to rise even when he/she is unconscious.
Alcohol in the stomach and intestines continues to be absorbed into the bloodstream and circulate around the body EVEN WHEN A PERSON STOPS DRINKING.
One should never assume that a person will get sober by sleeping off drunkenness. A potential danger of alcohol overdose is asphyxiating on one’s own vomit.
Critical alcohol poisoning symptoms include:
What happens if alcohol poisoning goes untreated?
What should you do if you suspect someone of alcohol poisoning?
What happens if alcohol poisoning goes untreated?
How would you know if a friend, relative or just some random person at the bar is merely drunk, or suffering from the effects of alcohol poisoning?
Being able to identify the difference may very well be the difference between life and death.
Death may be caused by someone who may asphyxiate from choking on his or her own vomit, or is not able to breathe because the part of the brain responsible for respiration has been poisoned and is in danger of shutting down.
Even if the victim survives, alcohol overdose can lead to irreparable brain damage.
Rapid binge drinking (which often happens on a bet or a dare) is especially dangerous because the victim can ingest a fatal dose before becoming unconscious. Young adults and teens are particularly at higher risk for binge drinking, which could cause alcohol poisoning.
The temporary embarrassment of having been rescued and treated for alcohol poisoning infinitely outweighs the potential risk of life-threatening complications.
Should you suspect anyone around you of having symptoms consistent of this condition, DO NOT hesitate to call for life-saving help.
Having identified the symptoms of alcohol poisoning, the actual treatment must begin immediately.
Once at the hospital somebody suffering from acute alcohol poisoning may undergo the following procedures:
Acute alcohol poisoning is not just a state of drunkenness, it is a serious condition that can be life-threatening. Knowing the signs of alcohol poisoning and the treatment for alcohol poisoning can literally save lives.
If in doubt as to whether someone is suffering from alcohol poisoning, err on the side of caution and call the emergency services.
After an individual has had a successfully treatment for alcohol poisoning, it is important to take a step back to determine if this was as single occurrence, or if the individual has signs of an alcohol addiction.
If the individual does have some concerns about their drinking, it would be appropriate for them to discuss them with a Medical or Mental Health professional.
There are various levels of care that may be recommended, all of which would depend on the persons history. It doesn’t hurt to be aware of the resources available to you, should you decide to utilize them.
Treatment for Alcohol Poisoning